Time and Work
- Time and work problems can be solved using unitary method.
- More persons will do more work in same time.
- More persons will take less time to do the same work.
- Remuneration is based on the amount of work done, which is in direct proportion to speed of work. If three persons can separately do a job in 3, 4, 5 days respectively, then remuneration will be divided in ratio 1/3 : 1/4 : 1/5.
- Ramdin can reap a field in 30 days. What part of the field would he have reaped in 25 days?
- If 12 men working 8 hours a day can construct a shed in 5 days, then in how many days will 8 men working 10 hours a day complete the same job?
- Three ants separately can gobble a dead grasshopper in 3, 4 and 6 days respectively. How many days will they take together to finish off the poor chap? If the grasshopper weighs 63 grams, find the share of each.
- If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take to get a dozen eggs from a chicken?
- A dozen pens cost 15 rupees. How much would a hundred pens cost?
- 400 grams cake costs 80 rupees. How much would a 1.5 kg cake cost?
- It rained 80 mm in first 20 days of April. What would be the total rainfall in April?
- 50 grams of fish food is sufficient for 8 fish for a day. How much would 12 fish require in a day?
- 50 grams of fish food is sufficient for 8 fish for a day. On the same amount of food, for how many days can 2 fish survive?
- A man builds a chair in 4 days, working 6 hours a day. How many hours should he work in a day if he wants to do it in 3 days instead of 4 days?
- Four men working together take 3 hours to paint a wall. How much time would 6 men take to do the same job?
- A man earns Rs 18000 in 3 months.
(a) How much time would he take to earn Rs 30000?
(b) How much will he earn in 7 months?
- Ram can build a table in 6 days while Shyam requires 8 days for the same work. Working together,
(a) how many days would they require to construct 7 tables?
(b) how many tables can they construct in 48 days?
- A man and a woman working together can sow a field in 20/9 days. The man alone can do it in 4 days. How much time would the woman working alone take to sow the field?
Answers1. 5/6th 2. 6 days
3. days; 28 grams, 21 grams, 14 grams 4. 18 days
5. Rs 125 6. Rs 300 7. can not say 8. 75 grams
9. 4 days 10. 8 hours per day 11. 2 hours
12. (a) 5 months (b) Rs 42000
13. (a) 24 days (b) 14 tables
14. 5 days